10 WAYS YOU'RE SETTING YOURSELF BACK
10 WAYS YOU'RE SETTING YOURSELF BACK
Become who you are
There always comes a point in life when introspection and reflection are necessary to assess our progression in realizing aspirations, achieving goals and life, in general. It is during these moments of reflection that we are best able to see how we could have made better decisions and how best to move forward toward our goals. Often time we may come to a realization that we’ve been, consciously or subconsciously, making things unnecessarily difficult for ourselves.
Here are 10 ways you may be setting yourself back:
1. You doubt yourself – There is nothing that hinders growth and progression like self-doubt. In a world where there are so many external factors that can get in one’s way, it is extremely important that you believe in yourself and your abilities. When all the odds are stacked against you, you need to be able to count on yourself to keep pushing forward and at the end of the day, you need to be our own biggest fan. Always.
2. You keep comparing yourself to others - There’s a saying that has always resonated with me – “Comparison is the thief of joy.” It can be difficult to avoid, but comparing yourself to others serves no purpose other than to fuel self-doubt and dissatisfaction. If you’re constantly looking at what everyone else has going for them, not only are you distracted from your own goals but you can’t fully appreciate what you’ve got. Keep your head down and stay in your lane.
3. Your focus is scattered - Have you ever felt like you have no real sense of direction? Well maybe you need to stop trying to juggle too many balls. Being able to master multi-tasking is a great way to accomplish more in less time but you can only do so much. It’s much better to give 100% to one thing than 10% to 100 things.
4. You don’t go hard - Dreams don’t realize themselves. It takes hard work and serious commitment. You must always be willing to go the extra mile even when you don’t feel like it. Wake up an hour earlier. Stay an hour later. Do what no one else is willing to do. Ask Dwayne Johnson.
5. You have negative people around you - Sometimes you can be doing all the right things but still, for some strange reason, you can’t seem to get ahead. Well, you might want to take a look at the people you surround yourself with. The people you surround yourself with influence your thoughts and actions much more than you’d realize. Sometimes it’s necessary to trim the excess baggage.
6. You shy away from new experiences - Nothing brings about personal growth like new challenges and experiences. Yes, it can be downright scary to venture out of your comfort zone but that is ultimately where the greatest successes are realized.
7. You make excuses - “It wasn’t the perfect time.” “I was too tired.” “The dog ate my homework.” For every excuse you’ve made, someone somewhere is defying the odds. Hold yourself accountable and stop making excuses. Just do it.
8. You procrastinate - Lord knows I am THE master of procrastination. Which is why I know that procrastination only delays progress. Stop putting your dreams on hold. See #7.
9. You’re hard-headed - Believing in yourself and your vision is a great thing. But sometimes it is necessary to adjust to changing circumstances and that means you need to know when to lay everything on the table and when to pull back and re-strategize.
10. You quit easily - An important part of making great strides in life is being able to roll with the punches when the going gets tough. Quitting should never be an option. After all, these are YOUR dreams and goals. If you can’t weather the storm for your own dreams, who will? B said it best: A winner don’t quit on themselves.
Alicia is a full-time writer/blogger and aspiring multi-hyphenate. Born in Toronto and raised in Jamaica, she now calls Montreal home. With a background in Broadcast-Journalism and a passion for inspiring through her writing, Alicia enjoys writing and creating content for the millennial woman. You can read more of her work at www.aluestory.com.
You Are An Inspiration XoXo